7.31.2012

Baking Day

J has been working...A LOT.  So one afternoon, I decided to do some baking.  Plus, baking breads always makes it feel a bit more like fall to me, and the house smells heavenly for hours.  This day, I decided to do banana bread and oatmeal scones.  Two favorites in our family.

The banana bread baking to a beautiful golden brown (please don't judge my dirty oven, it's about time for a good cleaning).  This time, I added chocolate chips, you can add about anything you want to this bread!  Raisins, different types of chips, nuts, dried fruits, whatever strikes you really.

While that was baking, I got the stuff ready to go for the oatmeal scones.

Blending it up.

Ready for baking! You have to shape it into a circle if you aren't using a round cake/pie pan.  I like the way this bakes on the stone, so I use this method.  Then you score it into 8 pieces with a knife before baking.  Makes them easy to break off afterwards.

Ummm..yum!

Banana Bread

Combine:
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sugar

Mix well, then add:
2 eggs
3 large very ripe bananas
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Stir it up, don't beat.
Put in an 8 or 9 inch pan, well greased.

Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

*If cut into 9 pieces, each piece has 280 calories.  12 pieces makes each piece 210 calories.

Oatmeal Scones

Pulse in food processor:
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup raw sugar

Beat together:
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk

Mix all together until just blended.  Pat into greased 8 inch cake pan or into an 8 inch circle on cookie sheet.  Score 8 wedges with knife.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cool 15 minutes on cooling rack.

*Each piece is 235 calories.

3 comments:

Karen said...

mmmmm.....I need to bake! Love ya and miss ya!

Ash said...

You are making me want to bake, and this is not a good thing...

Ash said...

You are an amazing baker! We are now out of your crack bread and that makes me sad! LOL! You should open a bakery!:)