3.28.2008

The best shepherd's pie EVER

About a year and a half ago, I met my dear friend Tiffany. The first time she invited us to dinner, she made the most awesome shepherd's pie I have EVER put in my mouth. That's what we had for dinner tonight. It takes a little time to make, but is so very worth it. It's not a hard recipe, just involved.
 
First, boil your potatoes (about 4 or 5 medium red potatoes), drain, add milk (or 1/2 and 1/2) and butter to taste, beat with hand mixer.
While potatoes are boiling, cook 1 lb. hamburger meat in skillet (like cooking for tacos).
Make a packet of brown gravy (it's waaaay easier than making homemade gravy and tastes just as good...I use McCormick's). Pour gravy over meat and stir it up.
Drain 2 cans of whole kernel corn.
Grate some extra sharp cheddar cheese (as much or as little as you like...I use a whole package).
Smooth mashed potatoes on bottom of 9x13 pan. Spread meat/gravy evenly over potatoes, followed by the corn. Top with a generous amount of cheddar cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. (And then set your oven to broil for just a few minutes, it makes the cheese just a little crunchy and golden.)
Then have a sit and enjoy:o) For us, it's great, because we can eat on this for more than just one meal. A little extra work in one night means easy dinner for another night;o)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my that look delicious! I really need to go to bed... I have dreams of gum drops floating in my head, and I'm not even asleep yet!

Karen said...

Yum! Are we having that next week????

sherry said...

That looks really good.