3.06.2007

A day to celebrate

Okay, so at the direction of my dearest mommy, I am writing my second post.
Yesterday, March 5, was my wedding anniversary. 2 Years!!! Yay for us. Not up into the double digits or anything, but still an accomplishment. I think we've grown so much in our two years of marriage, not only maturity wise, but we've grown in our walk with God and our love for each other has grown and blossomed. You love somebody when you marry them, or you wouldn't get married. But isn't it awesome how you can continue to fall in love even more over time. I am so blessed to have found my soul mate, some people don't believe in soul mates, and I find that so saddening. I truly believe Jason is the person that God meant for me to be with for my lifetime and that he is the one man that can complete me and make me whole. Now I'm not saying that the past two years have been completely "bump in the road" free, but I am saying that we made it past those trivial things that I couldn't even recall if I tried. Because we love each other and God with a passion.

Our first year was hard. Mainly because right after tying the knot, we were stationed in California, almost 2400 miles from home!!! I have NEVER, ever been that far away from my family, and let me tell you, I am a daddy's girl and my momma is my best friend. Not to mention the close relationship that I have with my 2 sisters and a nephew who at the time was only 4 months old and had me wrapped around his tiny finger (well, he still does!). I didn't get to see my family for 8 months. Jason was in training for the job he was preparing to do in the Marines and couldn't take any time off. And we all know how expensive it is to fly one person across country, let alone 5 or 6! But, on the positive side, we really learned about each other, learned how to live together, learned how to work through things without running home to complain about what the other one had done or said. And we both grew up...alot. We became independent as a newly married couple and learned to stand on our own. We learned to depend on each other, we had to, we were all each other had out there. And that was enough to get us through.

That November, a year after Jason went to bootcamp, we got relocated to the coast of NC, those of you who are familiar with military bases can probably take a good guess at where we are now. We are closer to home, MUCH closer and it's alot easier now that we can see our families on a regular basis. But, let me tell you about our first anniversary: Trying to be sweet, my dearest love decided it would be neat to drive out onto the beach since we have an SUV (NOT a 4-wheel drive). Yes, I was leary, yes, I told him that it probably wasn't a good idea, but my sweetheart has a mind and ideas all his own and drove out there anyways. Well, attempted. Yes, we did get stuck, then we see a sign that says "No driving on the beach without a pass. Absolutely NO vehicles allowed unless equipped with 4 wheel drive." Well, guess what...we had neither. Thank the good Lord above that 2 guys with a Jeep and a tow strap came along before the cops had a chance to! We would have been slapped with 2 tickets! He made up for not listening to my "womanly intuition" later with a sweet dinner and a very nice gift and backrub...he knows my love languages!

This year, I was alone on my Anniversary due to Jason's deployment. But being the sweet, thoughtful man that he is, he just prepared an early celebration before he left. We had our dinner out the night before he left, went to a movie, and my gift was this gorgeous ring:

He also bought me this charm bracelet for me to use as my medical alert bracelet. You see, I have had insulin dependent diabetes for almost 13 years now. A practical gift, but yet it let me know just how much he cares by getting me something that he still knew I would like but that would serve it's purpose in an emergency.


So, on the day after such a special day, I have a little time to reflect on how special my marriage really is and I am so thankful that I have Jason to walk beside through life. Now that he's deployed, and I don't get to see him every day, I have thought several times about how I at times take him for granted. I always just assumed that he's going to be there at the end of each day, yet we are never promised that. I don't want to be that way anymore, I want to always make sure he knows that I love him with all of my heart and never let him forget it. I don't want to get in that old routine when he comes home of just being used to him being around each day. We should never take our time with the ones we love for granted. Funny what time away from your spouse will make you realize.

So, to wrap this one up, Happy Anniversary to...Me! And especially to my husband, that may or may not get to read this due to varying schedules during his days in Iraq, but thanks to modern technology, I got to talk to him on the phone and computer yesterday and we got to make our anniversary wishes to each other then. Here's to looking forward to next year's anniversary...YEAR 3, and getting to spend that one together! I love you darling!

9 comments:

Susan P. said...

Dear Christie, thank you so much for sharing the beautiful love story of you and your husband. True love is such a wonderful gift and it sounds like it is one that you have truly been blessed with. I pray that the Lord gives you strength and comfort during this most difficult time and that before you know it you will be in your beloved's arms again. Take care and I'm sending big hugs all the way from Virginia!

Jennifer in MS said...

Happy 2nd Anniversary!!!

I've been married almost 16 years. I remember the first year being the hardest too!

Jason said...

Hey baby just sending my love from the big sand box and i wanted to say Happy 2nd Anniversary

Christy said...

Hey! I discovered your blog through Jennifer at This is The Day. I have been married for 4 years (5 in May!) and your post made me laugh when I thought about our first year together.
Thank you so much for your sacrifice, for your husband's sacrifice. I can go to bed each night, with my two children asleep upstairs and know that they are safe because of men and women like your husband. I will be praying for you and Jason! Thank you for the reminder that we should not take our spouses for granted.

Karen said...

Yay!! I love this post, Christie-belle. You have a talent for it. I told you so!!!
Love ya,
Mommie

Ash said...

Hey my beautiful sissy. You take after Mama's writing ability. Such talent! I love that you have a blog now. I love you, and will see you in a few hours.

Unknown said...

Hi Christie! Thanks so much for stopping by my place. I recognized your name immediately, and you would not have had to tell me who you were. I have grown to love your mama and I've never even seen her face to face :)

Happy anniversary. The first year IS the hardest. And I love that you shared about it. Love is not warm fuzzies. Love is a choice. A committed choice.

Thanks to Jason for all he is doing. Our men and women in uniform are some of the best examples of what committment is. I know you are proud of him and you absolutetly should be. We'll be praying for him here.

So welcome to blog land, and I'll be checking in with you.

Candy said...

Christie, This was such a sweet "love story". I am REALLY enjoying your blog!!! And will be back more for sure!!
Hugs to you,
Candy

Kelli said...

Happy Anniversary, Christie!! What a beautiful love story, I really enjoyed reading it!
I also wanted to say "welcome to the blogging world!" I will be sure to visit again soon!!

Kelli